Some of you may remember my challenge that I started back in the late summer of 2011. I was to “run” to Rome, New York by April of 2012.
That went out the window.
When I got sick right after Thanksgiving, I fell off the wagon. Hard. (“Bruised my bum” kind of hard.) When I read that a person loses a great deal of their stamina after just two weeks, I realized I was going to have to start from scratch.
I began with 1.5 miles. Sounds crazy, but mentally I just couldn’t bear the thought of doing more when I started up again. After a few runs, I started doing intervals. This was the golden ticket for me. I realized that breaking up my distance was truly the only way I was going to get things back on track. By the end of last week, only two weeks after I’d started back to the gym, I was running 3 miles VERY comfortably again. Plus, my body was less sore than usual because I had eased back into things. Woo. So even though it took only two weeks to mess with my game, it also only took two weeks to get it back.
All of that being said, I’m picking back up with my challenge. If all goes according to plan, I’d like to be in Rome by the end of July, having completed 465 miles in just over one year. Not record breaking, but still better than nothing.
So where am I today? 148.40
Distance left: 316.60
Average/ month to complete goal: 52.6 miles
Average/ week: 13.1
Now keep in mind that some weeks may bring higher numbers than others. According to my 2012 goals:
By the end of January…
- Be back to running 3-4 times per week (3 miles per run)
- Meditate at least 2 days per week for 10 minutes per session
By the end of February…
- Run 4.5 miles at least once a week (3 X 3 & 4.5 X 1)
- Practice Yoga 2 days per week for at least 30 minutes
By the end of March…
- Reduce my road rage by 30%
- Meditate at least 3 times per week for 15 minutes each time
By the end of April…
- Be able to run 4.5 miles twice per week (3 X 2 & 4.5 X 2)
- Effective say no to things I don’t want to do
By the end of May…
- Run 5 times per week (3 X 2, 4.5 X 2, 1.5 X 1)
- Continue practicing Yoga 2 times per week
By the end of June…
- Reduce road rage by 50%
- Increase meditation to 20 minutes 3 times per week
- Re-evaluate for upcoming 6 months
As you can see, by the end of May, I hope to be averaging somewhere around 16.5 miles per week.
So what’s my upcoming goal? 160 miles by February 1. Hold me accountable, please!
Health Tip of the Day (brought to you by the iGoogle app): When exercising, breathe in through your nose, and exhale from your mouth to keep the lungs clear and allow more air to enter.