Desserts are literally flying at me from all directions this week, whether it be at work or at holiday parties. So to combat these flying, fatty fantasticos (I’m reaching), I thought I’d post five healthy cookie recipes for the next five days until Christmas. This will give those of you a good variety to choose from, if you decide to go the healthier route this year. Suggestions are welcome and encouraged!
Cookie Recipe #5: Chocolate Bliss Cookies
Serves: Prep: 20min Cook: 40 min Total: 1 hr 0min
- 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 C sugar, divided
- 3 lg egg whites
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil.
- In small bowl, sift together cocoa, salt, and 1/4cup of the sugar.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium low speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, until meringue is glossy and stiff peaks form. Fold in cocoa mixture and vanilla extract.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 1″ apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 25 minutes for soft chewy cookies or 40 minutes for crisp ones. Dust cooled cookies with confectioners’ sugar.
I thought this recipe would be perfect for the chocolate-lover in your life or great for converting the lemon-lovers. (They’re out there, I swear.) Whip these bad boys up for the family or just to help healthier your own household sweet stash.
My Healthy Tip of the Day: Don’t cheat. Ever. At anything. Ok, more specifically at the gym. When you shave off those 5 minutes of cool down at the end of your machine workout, or switch to lighter weights because you want to do more reps, you’re only hurting your own results. Seriously, just finish the 12 reps and be done with it. Nobody will be wowed by an 8 minute gym trip.
This tip was not Karen-approved. She’s a life-long advocate for the Lazy Bum-Bums Club.