You won’t find a better treat than biscotti. It may take a while to bake, but it lasts forever. Whip up a batch, put it in a decorative container and you’ve got the perfect Christmas gift.
Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Yields: 5 Dozen biscotti
Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
Cook Time: 40 min
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoon(s) cold margarine or butter
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 ounce(s) (1 cup) semisweet-chocolate mini chips
- 1 cup(s) walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut in margarine until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon beaten eggs into cup; reserve. Add chocolate chips, walnuts, vanilla, and remaining beaten eggs to flour mixture; stir until evenly moistened. With hand, knead mixture a few times in bowl until dough forms.
- On floured surface, with floured hands, divide dough into quarters. Shape each quarter into a 9″ by 2″ log. Place logs crosswise, 4 inches apart, on 2 large cookie sheets. With pastry brush, brush tops and sides of logs with reserved egg. Bake logs 25 minutes. Cool logs on cookie sheet on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Place 1 log on cutting board. With serrated knife, cut warm log crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices. Place slices upright, 1/4 inch apart, on cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining logs. Bake slices 15 minutes to allow biscotti to dry out. Cool completely on sheets on wire racks. (Biscotti will harden as they cool.) Store biscotti in tightly covered container.