I got bored last Sunday and started fishing around for stuff in the kitchen to mix up. I had pumpkin, oats and a longing desire for it to be fall. I did a quick search online, found a pumpkin muffin recipe and started improvising. (The improvising stemmed from the fact that my mother threw out my baking soda two months ago when she helped me moved. I never forget.) Here is what I came up with.
Pumpkin Oat Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup of oats
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup of canned pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar (or other sugar substitute)
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grab a standard 12 cup muffin pan and spray with a light cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, including the oats. Whisk together lightly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg, butter and pumpkin. Combine with the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Spoon the batter into each cup of the muffin tin and bake for 12-14 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
These muffins are very dense and are best served with butter or your favorite jam. I highly recommend an apple butter!