Today is Wednesday, which to some means working through the last of the weekend’s leftovers. However, in this household, it’s only the start of my cooking. Wednesdays are my CSA veggie pick-up days and that usually means at least two hours in the kitchen after work. Tonight was a recipe I’d been dying to try for a while. While traditionally a healthy take on a conventional picnic staple, this dish screamed quick and easy lunch for the next few days. Plus, it’s always a bonus to find recipes that allow me to really get the most of my Round Right vegetables! Here is my take on a French Bean & Potato Salad. (You’ll notice that I marked the Round Right veggies I had to work with!)
- COOK TIME
- 1 hour
- 2 pounds medium potatoes, like Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn (RR)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste with a little salt (RR)
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can of navy beans
- 1 can of garbanzo beans
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 8-10 radishes (RR)
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and bay leaf. Cook at a brisk simmer until the potatoes are firm but easily pierced with a skewer, about 30 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, capers, mustard and vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk again before using if the dressing separates.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the skins with a paring knife and carefully cut into pieces 1/4-inch thick, or slightly thicker. Put the slices in a low bowl, season lightly with salt and pepper and add half the vinaigrette. Using your hands, gently coat the potatoes with the vinaigrette, taking care not to break them. Cover and set aside at room temperature.
- Empty the garbanzo and navy beans into a colander and rinse thoroughly. Set aside and begin cutting the radishes and red bell pepper into slices or chunks.
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and dress with remaining vinaigrette. Hand toss and serve.
- 4 to 6 servings