This is a variation of another recipe that I’ve made many, many times. The biggest difference is that I add a LOT of cheese. I start off with the same ingredients and then just start adding my own flavor.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups marinara or pizza sauce
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto (I used Bella Sun Luci, sold at most grocery stores)
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the skin of the squash gives when you press on it. Then reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Once squash is done cooking, cut up sausage into crumbles and mix with sauce, dried basil, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Add sausage mixture to crockpot, along with squash, and mix well. Stir in pesto and cheese and let cook on low for 6-8 hours.
This is one of those fun recipes where you can add any variety of veggies you want. I’ve added spinach leaves before and definitely want to try red peppers next time!