This recipe is a flourless cake, so it will have a more brownie-like consistency. I’ve always had trouble finding amoretti cookies in the past, so feel free to use a substitute. My personal favorite is the Pepperidge Farm Geneva cookie.
- Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
- ¾ cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of slivered almonds
- 1 cup (about 2 oz) of baby amoretti cookies
- ½ cup unsalted (1 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp of grated orange zest (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- About 2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, microwave the chips for about 2 minutes.
- In food processor, combine almonds and cookies and pulse until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the butter, sugar, and orange zest to processor and blend until creamy.
- With machine running, add eggs, one at a time. Add the nut mixture and chocolate. Pulse until blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the center puffs. This will be about 35 minutes. Pour cocoa powder over top after it has cooled for 15 minutes.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Foodnetwork.com/Giada De Laurentiis,