This is hands-down one of my favorite soups. It’s creamy, thick and freezes very well. I like to buy crusty bread when I make this soup and make my own homemade croutons.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28oz cans of diced tomatoes (fire-roasted, if available)
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup half and half or soy creamer
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Heat oil in a suace pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, basil, bay leaf, and broth. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Puree soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Strain through a strainer into a saucepan and return to simmer.
- Remove from heat and stir in half and half. Season with salt and pepper.