I made this recipe on a whim once for a Spanish class in college. I was nervous when I started adding the ingredients, because I never thought something so simple could turn out well. My roommates at the time loved it and it has since become my go-to dish when I’m too lazy to cook.
- 2 avocados, diced in medium-sized cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced the same size
- *½ red onion, finely chopped
- *1 ½ lemon, juice of
- 1 or 2 tsp of salt
- 3 tbsp cold water or olive oil
- Dice tomatoes and avocados and gently toss together. Be careful not to mash the avocado.
- In a separate bowl, mix the chopped onion, 1 tsp of the salt, lemon juice, and water or oil together. Taste and add additional salt of needed.
- Pour mixture over tomatoes and avocados and serve plain or over rice.
*I find that ½ red onion and 1 ½ lemons is too strong, so adjust the ingredients according to your personal tastes. I usually stick with a little more than ¼ of a red onion and 1 lemon. 1 serving has 180.5 calories and the recipe serves 4.